Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lazy Saturday bread

Continuing the theme of waste not, want not, I had some leftover oatmeal in the fridge that needed to be used up this morning. I wasn't sure...should I make muffins? pancakes? And then I remembered that I ate the last of my homemade bread yesterday, and thus, needed a new loaf.

I found a recipe online for bread machine bread made with cooked oatmeal. While my oats were not steel cut (these take too long in the morning, so I opt for large flake oats on weekdays), the recipe looks like it should yield a nice loaf. I used a cup and a half of spelt flour in place of part of the regular flour, and brown sugar instead of honey or maple syrup, and added some butter.

My "new" recipe now looks like this:

Cozy weekend oatmeal bread

1.5 cups of cooked large flake oats
1 cup of water or whey (from my cheesemaking activities, this is a great way to use up your leftover whey)
1.5 cups of spelt flour
2 cup of white or whole wheat flour
1 tbsp of brown sugar
1.5 tsp of real salt (I use salt from Utah that is full of trace minerals)
2.5 tsp of bread machine yeast
1 tbsp of butter (I like to add a little bit of butter or oil to my breads, as it adds to a lovely crust)

Assemble ingredients in the order listed in your bread machine. Choose grain setting if you have it. If the dough is not pulling cleanly from the sides during the kneading cycle, add a little more flour. Flour quantities vary depending on its moisture level.

Enjoy, warm, with butter and honey, or homemade apple butter. Yumm!

It's in the machine now, and will be ready this afternoon, just in time for a late lunch. I will post a picture later.

What a cozy way to start the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment