Friday, February 3, 2012

It's Friday! Veggie box time...

I love Fridays. On Friday, I get a few days of family time. I also receive my organic veggie box and that makes me happy! Having a box of healthy fruits and veg delivered to my door every week means that as long as  I have staples on hand (cooked beans or meat in the freezer, tofu in the fridge, rice, noodles or bread), I can always whip up a healthy meal.

That my box costs me less than a meal out doesn't hurt, either. This week: bok choy, carrots, cauliflower, sweet potatoes (or yams?), tomatoes (two ways!), celery, parsnips, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, oranges, apples, a lemon, blueberries, apples. I get my box from Ottawa Organics, and have for almost two years now. I've become really adept at not letting food go to waste, which takes some time to get used to, but is better on the budget and the environment and your health in the long run.
I've begun to realize that when I let food go to waste, I'm also tossing a long chain of effort and resources into the compost heap. There's nothing like a little reflection to figure out what is really important.




No comments:

Post a Comment