Monday, July 19, 2010

Celiac disease

A recent study by the Mayo clinic shows that the rate of celiac disease has increased by about 400% in the past 5 decades! Celiac is a reaction against gluten, found in many grains, which can lead to an autoimmune reaction in your small intestine. When people with celiac eat grains with gluten, the small intestine is damaged, which can lead to a range of symptoms, including digestive problems, rashes, headaches, depression, joint and muscle aches, and many more.

Unlike many diseases, there is a "cure" for celiac: avoid all food containing gluten.

Rheumatoid arthritis is more common in people with celiac disease, and they are both autoimmune diseases, meaning that the body's immune system attacks the body when it shouldn't.

I'm still waiting on my IgG testing for food sensitivities (update: I got the results back today and I only have a few IgG mediated sensitivities, one however is wheat, along with oysters, asparagus, mushrooms and lettuce!), and while I doubt I have celiac, I also thought I should rule it out as related to my arthritis and fatigue. I found a home blood test that is offered in Canada, which is pretty cool. Because 20% of the population has the genes related to celiac (although not all of these people develop the disease), I figure it is best to rule it out. When I get my test on Tuesday, I'll give a review of how well it worked, and more importantly, whether there were any interesting results!

No comments:

Post a Comment