Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Omega 3 fatty acids, inflammation and depression

So this week is all down hill with my joints, and typing this post is not a heck of a lot of fun! However, staying connected with people is important.

Some interesting articles have been coming up in my search for relevant studies. I'm still amazed at how important Omega-3 fatty acids are. For example, here is a recent review that covers how and why they are important to inflammation, which for my arthritis, is one of the things I need to get under control.

Fatty acids from fish: the anti-inflammatory potential of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids

What I find very interesting is that it is not only "physical" disorders that respond to omega-3's, but mental health problems as well. A recent study showed that omega-3s had an effect comparable to antidepressants for mild to moderate depression without anxiety. That's pretty amazing. Although I wholeheartedly support the use of pharmaceuticals when called for, if we could intervene earlier with some dietary modifications, or simple supplementation, that may be better.

One final thought before I rest my wrists: Depression is being increasingly seen as an inflammatory disorder. Isn't that interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment