Friday, May 21, 2010

And we're off!

Last year chronicled the rise and return to sustainability of my small fibre arts business. This year, I'm tackling something a little more serious. I've been struggling with a lot of fatigue, and my inflammatory arthritis has been ramping up and I'm not willing to give in to regular cortisone injections just yet. I'm also not thrilled at the idea of increasing the folate disrupting DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug) that I'm on. It makes me tired and nauseated -- which doesn't sound like a good trade off for tired and sore, although I agree with avoiding long term damage to my joints.

So with spring here, I'm taking a really dedicated approach to improving my health through the means that I control. Food and exercise are indeed medicine as well, so I'm starting there. I can't help but think that the large things I put into my body on a daily basis might outbalance the small little (albeit potent) pills I put into it. Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for living better through chemistry (the pharmaceutical kind) when necessary. I also want to take control of what I can as well.

As a scientist, I expect this journey to be evidence based. I've been inhaling many books on nutrition and health lately, and verifying on a regular basis what I take away through the peer reviewed research. I'm amazed at how much there is out there!

Hang out while I chronicle on a weekly or even daily basis, my return to examining diet, exercise and other life habits with a view to living better with chronic arthritis. It should be a rewarding year -- I can't wait to look back on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment