Monday, June 28, 2010

New recipe! Kalen's healthy treats

Tonight I wanted something sweet, But I've been doing really well to not to eat refined sugars since I've cleaned up my diet. I do have some from time to time, and I won't deny that I like having a vegetarian whole foods buffet with a fab dessert section close to my new home! However, tonight I thought I'd try to make something myself.

At first I was going to make a raw food "brownie", but it seems the mini food processor my mom gave me is not up to doing dates. Instead, Kalen's healthy treats were born (and so named by said child).

Take a good handful of pitted dates, and a few tablespoons of almond butter. Mix them about so that the dates are well covered in the almond butter. Then, take a tablespoon or two of cocoa or carob powder, and mix that around. The proportions should be so that you have what appears to be a cocoa covered date at the end, one that can be picked up and eaten with the fingers within being gooey or powdery. Kalen loved these and while they are still high in sugars, they also pack some protein and healthy fats too. I will post pics tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, they were (and a few still are, but not for long!!!)

    ReplyDelete